[Eda-dev] TimberWolf and Magic

Jody Matos jody.matos at inf.ufrgs.br
Fri Dec 4 04:39:07 EST 2015

Dear Tim Edwards,

This is the first time I am contacting you. So, let me introduce myself. My
name is Jody Maick Matos. Currently, I am a PhD Candidate at PPGC
<http://ppgc.inf.ufrgs.br/en/> / UFRGS <http://www.ufrgs.br/english/home>,
Brazil. My R&D field is related with EDA tools and algorithms, specially
concerning logic synthesis.

First, congratulations! You are doing a really good job at Open Circuit
Design. I really appreciate your effort on having a complete digital
synthesis design flow using open-source software and open-source standard
cell libraries. Thank you for that!

I have just started a research on an emerging non-ASIC technology and the
challenges I am facing now have already been handled before by the ASIC
tools (two routing layers only, non-over-the-cells channel-based routing,
...). Specifically, I need P&R tools and algorithms based on variable-die
methodologies. In this sense, I am trying to adapt TimberWolf's placement
and global routing to our purpose, detail routing with QRouter and
finishing the layout with Magic. By the way, I am using TimberWolf 6.3
(downloaded from OCD <http://opencircuitdesign.com/verilog/>), QRouter 1.2
without interpreter, and Magic 8.0 (revision 210, with Tcl8.6.1 / Tk8.6.1).

I am sending you this message because I am facing two issues when running
the backend design flow using TimberWolf and Magic:

   1. What motivates me to use TimberWolf is the fact that (in theory) it
   is able to deal with row-based standard cell placement and global routing
   in a variable-die methodology. Thus, I am trying to have a placed design
   with routing channels so that each channel's height be minimized (having
   different heights, possibly) based on congestion estimations obtained from
   global routing.

   However, even running a number of different strategies, TimberWolfSC is
   always producing a placement in which every channel has the same height
   (independently if I am using a "rowSep" parameter as 1.0 or 5.0, for
   example). Probably, I am doing something wrong when running the tool.

   I am sending you attached the input files I am using with TimberWolf. I
   would really appreciate if you could point me out what I am doing wrong.

   2. I am having a couple of problems when running Magic associated with
   "-dnull" and "-noconsole" options:

*$ magic  //without options              *everything is great and the tool
   runs normally, with graphics and everything

*$ magic -dnull              *everything is great and the tool runs
   normally, without graphics of course

*$ magic -noconsole              *Magic segfaults. You will find the
   complete error message in the file "magic-noconsole-error.log" (attached)

*$ magic -dnull -noconsole *            Magic do not open, presenting the
   following message: "*couldn't load file
   "/usr/local/lib/magic/tcl/tclmagic.so":
   /usr/local/lib/magic/tcl/tclmagic.so: undefined symbol:
   Tk_GetCursorFromData*"

I am sorry for bothering you with such things. I hope you could help me on
solving these issues.

Best regards and thank you in advance,
--
Jody Maick A. de Matos