[Eda-dev] Problems with qrouter getting stuck

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe at zylin.com
Mon Oct 16 10:03:36 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Tim Edwards <tim at opencircuitdesign.com>
wrote:

> Hello Øyvind,
>
>> Ah. I did build and install a newer qrouter in /usr/local/bin, but qflow
>> is
>> picking up an older version.
>>
>> What I did was first to install qflow w/apt-get install qflow, then build
>> qrouter locally. I guess I have to uninstall qflow, magic, qrouter and
>> graywolf, then build the tools that qflow depends on first, then qflow?
>> I'll give that a try.
>>

> Generally, the pre-compiled versions target /usr/bin, I think (I don't
> make those distributions).
>
> Qflow makes pointers (at compile/install time) to all of the tools it
> uses.  You'll find those in /usr/local/share/qflow/bin (except for the
> pre-compiled version, it's probably in /usr/share/qflow/, maybe?).
> This is where qflow is choosing the value of qrouter.

I just finished building qflow now. It appears that it picks up the
location of the tools that it depends on during "configure". Hence if you
start with the apt-get qflow, then try to build and install e.g. qrouter,
then the installed qflow won't pick up the new qflow.

> $ qrouter -noc
>> Qrouter detail maze router version 1.4.2.T
>> No .cfg file specified, continuing without.
>> No Top-level Tk window available. . .
>>

> But don't use version 1.4;  the development version went a different
> direction and I have not merged the better solutions from 1.3 back into
> the development branch.  Version 1.3.93 is the one you want.

OK. Did that. I need to run qrouter on a remote build server, when I try to
run qrouter 1.3, I get this error message below. Hmm.... is that going to
stop me... In my build script, I "unset DISPLAY", otherwise qflow will fail
at the graywolf stage.

*$ qrouter -noc*
*application-specific initialization failed: no display name and no
$DISPLAY environment variable*

I just compiled magic, qrouter, graywolf and installed yosys 0.7 and qflow
now and I've kicked off a new build job. I'll see what that does. I expect
the build, if successful, to take at least 24 hours. I guess it will die in
qrouter though with the 'DISPLAY' error message above.

> Ubuntu has dash as default. I guess the qrouter scripts should either
>> specify #!/bin/bash or support dash?
>> $ ls -l /bin/sh
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep  6 14:07 /bin/sh -> dash
>>

> Gah, when did that happen?  I thought "bash" was universal and
> universally used.  I may have to just change /bin/sh to /bin/bash to
> be specific about the shell to use, instead of relying on the (previously
> reliable) link from "sh" to "bash".

I have no idea why Ubuntu is so enthusiastic about dash that they want to
make it the default. It's been like this for years now and I know lots of
people being suckerpunched by this.

>     Sorry, I couldn't find a way to prevent people from creating accounts
>>>    in bugzilla and plastering it with spam, so I had to disable it.
>>>

> There's not so much traffic in this mailing list that we can't afford to
>> discuss potential issues here first by way of triage?
>>

> Works for me, although maybe I should try switching to JIRA for bug
> reporting.  I have a bunch of updates that need to be done;  all the
> web tools I use are disappearing rather than keeping up-to-date.

I've been using JIRA for the last couple of years in more than one
organization. I quite like it, I find it modern. I find it near impossible
to search for anything, but I guess I'm just spoiled rotten by Google. I
haven't used other bug-tracking tools in the last couple of years. I find
the JIRA Kanban + a few quick filters to be an effective way to manage and
prioritize hundreds of open bugs at a glance.

--
Øyvind Harboe, General Manager, Zylin AS, +47 917 86 146