[Eda-dev] Problems with .v files not used in the design causing error messages

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe at zylin.com
Sat Jul 6 06:06:22 EDT 2019

I've run into a surprising problem.

I've got a standalone module (ShadowStateMaster below) that I'd like to
test and it fails because of errors in modules that are not used by that
module

If I delete those unused .v files, then qflow build works.

/# qflow build --tech gscl45nm ShadowStateMaster

--------------------------------
Qflow project setup
--------------------------------

Technology set to gscl45nm

Errors detected in verilog source, need to be corrected.
See file //log/synth.log for error output.
root at 47b95f20f6c0:/# cat log/synth.log
[deleted]
2. Executing Verilog-2005 frontend.
Parsing Verilog input from `/MemoryArbitrationTestBench.v' to AST
representation.
Generating RTLIL representation for module `\MemoryArbitrationUnit'.
Generating RTLIL representation for module `\ShadowStateMaster'.
Generating RTLIL representation for module `\ShadowStateMemory'.
Generating RTLIL representation for module `\MemoryArbitrationTestBench'.
Successfully finished Verilog frontend.

3. Executing Verilog-2005 frontend.
InternalRAMImplementation.v:28: ERROR: syntax error, unexpected '[',
expecting TOK_ID or '#'
Errors detected in verilog source, need to be corrected.
Synthesis flow stopped due to error condition.
root at 47b95f20f6c0:/# mv *.v tmp/
root at 47b95f20f6c0:/# mv tmp/ShadowStateMaster.v .
root at 47b95f20f6c0:/# qflow build --tech gscl45nm ShadowStateMaster

Qflow project setup

Technology set to gscl45nm
Regenerating files for existing project ShadowStateMaster
Running yosys for verilog parsing and synthesis
yosys  -s ShadowStateMaster.ys
[deleted]

--
Øyvind Harboe, General Manager, Zylin AS, +47 917 86 146