[Xcircuit-dev] xcircuit

R. Timothy Edwards tim.edwards at multigig.com
Mon Mar 12 05:03:58 PDT 2012

Hello Edgar,

>    I made the following extension that you might consider useful: the
> prefix 'micro' can be displayed as 'μ' instead of 'u' automatically without
> changing the inputs.  To this end I added the definition /uc (for
> uconversion) to xcircps2.pro:
>
> /uc {dup (u) eq {pop (m) /Symbol cf} if} def
>
> For this to work, also the lines in the lps-files for the label are changed as
> follows (example taken from analoglib3::Capacitor):
>
> .
> mark (F) {/Times-Roman cf} @units {uc}  {hS} @value ...
> .
> (The {/Times-Roman cf} is necessary to localise the effect of {uc} to @units
> only.  There must be a better way.)
>
> This all works fine, but for now this is a manual postprocessing operation
> because "files.c" does not recognise {uc} as a valid procedure for "label".
> You might consider implementing this.  I couldn't, because I'm working with a
> precompiled distribution (RPM).  Nothing for the infolabel for spice changes.
>
>    I hope you consider this a valuable extension to your already fabulous
> program.

I have been doing things the opposite way;  if you select the text
encoding to be ISOLatin1, then type the backslash key, you can insert
the "μ" character (and the correct one corresponding to the font, not
the Symbol font Greek letter character set) directly into the text
label.  The netlister is designed to convert "μ" back to "u" where
necessary, such as SPICE and sim netlists.  It might make more sense,
though, for me to let the ISOLatin1 encoding be the default, or else
present all characters from all encodings in the character map and let
xcircuit work out when to switch encodings, automatically.

						---Tim