[Xcircuit-dev] XCircuit problems on Mac OS X

Tim Edwards tim at opencircuitdesign.com
Fri Mar 16 12:25:19 EDT 2012

Hello Peter,

> Now it compiles and installs XCircuit using the correct libraries. The
> only problem is that when running xcircuit, the main window shows up
> for a split second and then fails, writing the following error in the
> terminal:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  5160

I think the best way to tackle this is to bring up xcircuit part by
part and see what part is failing.  On some systems Tcl/Tk passes back a
pointer to a window before X11 creates it, and it ends up with zero
values. . . I need to track down which call to XCreatePixmap failed,
and which value was zero (display, window, width, or height).

Start by running the non-console based version and see if it does
the same thing:

	/usr/local/lib/xcircuit-3.8/xcircexec

If that also crashes, then (assuming you have the gnu debugger "gdb"):

	gdb /usr/local/lib/xcircuit-3.8/xcircexec
	break xcircuit.c:1455

(answer "y" to "make breakpoint pending on future shared library load?")

	run

When it breaks (assuming it doesn't crash first), do:

	print dpy
	print areawin->window
	print areawin->width
	print areawin->height
	print areawin->area

any of these values being zero would be a crash condition.  I'm not
sure where to go from there until I get the feedback from the debugger
run.
						Regards,
						Tim